Skip to main content

Digital Detox and River Rafting

Today's Seattle Times included an article in the Northwest Travel section from an author voluntarily seeking refuge from the digitally connected world many of us have created for ourselves. Our addiction to video display terminals is real, and like alcohol, nicotine and high fructose syrup, it needs to be moderated. Or, as mom liked to say, we "are cruising for a bruising."

I am as guilty as anyone in our brave new electronic world of being enthralled by all of my digital devices. I have a desktop computer, a laptop and an iPhone. I am not going to count the desktops languishing in my basement. Recently, I came up with a rationalization to purchase an iPad, but, so far, I have refrained from opening my wallet. I utilize all of these devices every day.

The newspaper continues to be delivered by a 'paperboy' (actually a middle-aged guy in a Mazda) but, I have to admit, with each passing day, newspaper delivery and newspaper reading is feeling more and more like the Pony Express or telegraph lines. I will also admit to being frustrated when the paper arrives late, or not at all, due to inclement weather or avalanches on the mountain passes. Sometimes when it does arrive, I find it quaint that 'late-breaking' news, such as the Washington Huskies' victory over Oregon in the Pac 10 tourney late on a Thursday evening, is omitted because the result was too late for the paper's printed edition.

It is no longer just the Age of Information. It is the Age of Instant Information.

However, I am not going to vilify our digitized umbilical cord to our world, and The World's, events. Instant communication and the constant flow of information is both boon and bane to our existence, and like all of the other addictive behaviors and substances in our daily lives, we need to find a balance. So, that's it. That is my revelation. It is no more earth-shattering than the acknowledgement that the only way you are going to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more.

I feel I am lucky in regards to dealing with the influence video display terminals have over my life. I imagine I am a super user in relation to the rest of humanity. While at home, I am never far from my connection to the online universe. Part of it is business-related but, admittedly, I find limitless means of entertainment and educational moments online. I read papers, magazines and books, yet I usually feel 'engaged' online. And that energizes me.

But I am lucky because, due to my occupation --- outfitting and guiding river trips --- a good percentage of my life is spent outdoors and on the water which, so far, is not a particularly optimum environment for microprocessors and WiFi is not yet prevalent in the wilderness. River trips, therefore, are ideal vacations for digital detoxification. The author in the Seattle Times article was reporting on a Chicago hotel which advertised the fact that they would 'confiscate' your digital devices on arrival and guide you through your time severed from the never-ending stream of useful, as well as banal, information.




In my mind, a river trip is a far better means, and more pure method, of removing yourself from the incessant barrage of news, whimsy, sales pitches and entertainment. Bill McKibben wrote a book titled "The Age of Missing Information" comparing 24 hours of watching every cable channel available at the time with 24 hours on a mountaintop in the Adirondacks. This was in 1992, well before broadband and satellites brought the internet torrent into our every waking moment.

I don't remember his specific conclusion, though I am confident the gist was that intrinsic value you derive from a day of observing nature is just as valuable as all of the data you might gather from watching untold hours of television. A river rafting trip, by its very nature --- outdoors, under the stars, untethered from the internet --- provides a clean, clear, complete digital break. The only mental stimulation is the white water challenge, the face-to-face social interaction, contemplating your navel and absorbing the wonders of the natural world.

Checking into a swanky, downtown hotel stripped of your electronic gadgets might be an urbanite's idea of getting away from it all, but it pales in comparison to launching onto a river for three days (Good), five days (Better) or a month (Best).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Fielder - Washington River Rafting Pioneer

Jim Fielder was, as they say, larger than life. The former middle school teacher, beloved by many, and former white water rafting outfitter , envied by even more, lost his life recently due to poor electrical wiring and a flash fire.  He lived on Queen Anne hill in a house handed down to him by his mother. The Queen Anne News reported that he was also a former screenwriter and novelist of true crime stories.  I know he had published a book or two, and I know he wrote an insightful article about Mary Kay Letourneau for a women's magazine, but I don't know if I would characterize anyone who has been published as being 'former'.  Once a writer, always a writer. Jim Fielder owned Zig Zag River Runners from the late 70s through the early 90s, and that is how I know him.  But the last time I saw him, he was haunting a Queen Anne coffeehouse, absorbing information and scheming about subject matter you could sink your teeth into.  He was long past his white water outf

Best Time for River Rafting in Leavenworth

The ideal time to river raft the Wenatchee River is between May and July. May is peak, snow-melt runoff, so the water will be cold, the air temperature in the 70s and the water level can be moderate to high. June is nice because the ambient temperature has risen considerably, while the river levels usually are still good enough to provide some exciting white water. July is typically low and slow, but the weather is reaching the high 90s, so rafting continues to be fun, but more memorable due to water-fighting and voluntary swims. Orion River Rafting provides daily, unhurried river trips out of Leavenworth, Washington. Established 1978. http://orionexp.com in reference to: "Spring mountain snowmelt creates excellent rafting conditions in the Wenatchee River." - Leavenworth, Washington - A Great Place to Visit ( view on Google Sidewiki )

Our Own Private Idaho. . . River - Part 2

“The Selway, between Double Drop Rapids and Ladle Rapids, has averaged one drowning per year, over the past 8 years.” the veteran Selway River guide intoned.  “Don’t take it lightly.”   ~~ After awkwardly clambering up a steep slope above Double Drop Rapids in an effort to get a peek at what lurked around the bend, those words lay harbored in the back of my mind.  With the Selway rising, rocks were disappearing and ugly hydrologic features were emerging.   Double Drop Rapids, Selway River 2004 - Dane Doerflinger The reason those who scouted the day before were nonplussed about location was because they had noted an enormous boulder at the head of Double Drop Rapids.   An enormous boulder.  With the rising tide, the telltale boulder was engulfed. From the scout, I had no doubt of the preferred route.  However, the slightest miscalculation risked an encounter with some of the explosive breaking waves toward the rapid’s tail.  The more technically difficult Lad