Skip to main content

"It Has Never Been About White Water"

The other night, before a host of old friends, employees and curious onlookers at Orion River Rafting's 33rd Anniversary bash, in the midst of a speech, which was really just a 'word from our sponsor', I confessed that, for me, it has never been about the white water.

And, if you note that my wife works her fingers to the bone as an emergency room nurse, aiding, abetting and enabling our business, you would also realize it has never been about the money either. (You might also take note of the decrepit equipment we nurse from season to season to arrive at the same conclusion.)

I became a river rafting enthusiast by accident.

I enrolled in a liberal arts college in the early '70s that believed outdoor experiences were integral to the health and well-being of a Socratic student. Freshman orientation was one month in the wilds of the American Southwest. It just so happened my month was spent rafting the Green and Colorado Rivers.

What I took away from my experience floating Labyrinth, Stillwater and Cataract Canyons was that white water river rafting was a blast but more importantly, spending a month in the wilderness with a group of people was an excellent medium for creating lifelong bonds. It was not hard to imagine making some kind of career out of introducing the general public to the joys of river running. But, after I left that small liberal arts school, what I specifically sought was a degree in Wilderness Education and Counseling Psychology.

I didn't know if it existed. I just knew that was what I was interested in.

A few years and a couple of higher institutions of learning later, I became a reluctant river rafting outfitting entrepreneur.

I started into business to escape college with my degree. I remained because it fulfilled what I perceived to be my sole purpose in life (if I had any purpose whatsoever) --- bringing people together.

Rivers, river trips, white water and flat water are the medium through which this happens. With a few contrivances, sleight of hand and silly games, our annual guide training accelerates the team/community building process which I have witnessed happening naturally on trip after trip. And, of course, the aftermath of each of those trips which continue to ripple through our community season after season.

River trips spawn stories. The oral history binds the tribe together from one generation to the next. The community itself takes on a life of its own and, before you know it, rivers, river trips, white water and flat water are the kernel at the center. The periphery tribal activities may be marginally related to river running, but directly related to the community.

This is why I like white water stories that are about people, not people telling their white water adventures. There are places and a time for those kinds of tales, but the stories that bind us together are the ones about us.

As I said at the outset, it has never been about the white water, it has always been about people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Fielder - Washington River Rafting Pioneer

Jim Fielder was, as they say, larger than life. The former middle school teacher, beloved by many, and former white water rafting outfitter , envied by even more, lost his life recently due to poor electrical wiring and a flash fire.  He lived on Queen Anne hill in a house handed down to him by his mother. The Queen Anne News reported that he was also a former screenwriter and novelist of true crime stories.  I know he had published a book or two, and I know he wrote an insightful article about Mary Kay Letourneau for a women's magazine, but I don't know if I would characterize anyone who has been published as being 'former'.  Once a writer, always a writer. Jim Fielder owned Zig Zag River Runners from the late 70s through the early 90s, and that is how I know him.  But the last time I saw him, he was haunting a Queen Anne coffeehouse, absorbing information and scheming about subject matter you could sink your teeth into.  He was long past his white water outf

Best Time for River Rafting in Leavenworth

The ideal time to river raft the Wenatchee River is between May and July. May is peak, snow-melt runoff, so the water will be cold, the air temperature in the 70s and the water level can be moderate to high. June is nice because the ambient temperature has risen considerably, while the river levels usually are still good enough to provide some exciting white water. July is typically low and slow, but the weather is reaching the high 90s, so rafting continues to be fun, but more memorable due to water-fighting and voluntary swims. Orion River Rafting provides daily, unhurried river trips out of Leavenworth, Washington. Established 1978. http://orionexp.com in reference to: "Spring mountain snowmelt creates excellent rafting conditions in the Wenatchee River." - Leavenworth, Washington - A Great Place to Visit ( view on Google Sidewiki )

Our Own Private Idaho. . . River - Part 2

“The Selway, between Double Drop Rapids and Ladle Rapids, has averaged one drowning per year, over the past 8 years.” the veteran Selway River guide intoned.  “Don’t take it lightly.”   ~~ After awkwardly clambering up a steep slope above Double Drop Rapids in an effort to get a peek at what lurked around the bend, those words lay harbored in the back of my mind.  With the Selway rising, rocks were disappearing and ugly hydrologic features were emerging.   Double Drop Rapids, Selway River 2004 - Dane Doerflinger The reason those who scouted the day before were nonplussed about location was because they had noted an enormous boulder at the head of Double Drop Rapids.   An enormous boulder.  With the rising tide, the telltale boulder was engulfed. From the scout, I had no doubt of the preferred route.  However, the slightest miscalculation risked an encounter with some of the explosive breaking waves toward the rapid’s tail.  The more technically difficult Lad