Skip to main content

Cocky River Rafting Guides Need Not Apply

River rafting is - for lack of a better term - fun.

White water rafting is an exciting means of getting out into the great outdoors.  And it brings the great outdoors to a wide variety of people.
Tough guys finish first.
Reynolds' character in Deliverance was both empathetic AND cocky.
If you have read any of my previous posts related to this one, you know where I am going here.  The river rafting public comes in all shapes and sizes, many different ages and physical abilities.  But what they all have in common is they are  A) counting on our professional expertise, and B) have absolutely no idea how important it is that we exercise prudence when we are guiding them through white water.

It doesn't matter how many times a guest has gone rafting.  Unless they spend their spare time out from behind their desks floating white water in a life jacket or getting intimate with white water in a hard shell or inflatable kayak, when we meet them at the river side for their day of rafting, they are 'babes in the woods', as far as white water knowledge goes.  Regardless of whether they know it or not, our guests are counting us to demonstrate prudence and good judgment on the river.

In other words, professional river rafting guides need to know the 'That's Stupid' rule and stick to it.

Let me be alliterative.

Cockiness, complacency and carelessness create consternation, chaos and - possibly - catastrophe.  The deadly C's.

No guide is immune to falling under one or all of those spells.  It can happen to the thirty year veteran as easily as it can happen to the 20-year old.  Of course, the trouble is, you need only let down your guard once.

It happened to me on the Skykomish River.  Feeling positively elated by a clean descent of Boulder Drop Rapids, I nonchalantly captained my raft of novice paddlers toward the infamous Lunch Hole.  It wasn't as if I didn't know the hazard existed.  In fact, I had been assiduously skirting it for more than a decade fully cognizant of its potential to humble raft guides.

I watched as the boat in front of me seemed to hit the hydraulic and emerge unscathed.  I made a mental note that the guide that toyed with the Lunch Hole was a younger, less experienced guide and perhaps that realization played into my nonchalance.  Regardless, it was then I let my guard drop.

I tried to catch the edge of the hole, but by venturing close, my raft wound up taking on the 'whole enchilada'.  The violence of the flipped raft was remarkable.  And for me, and a few of my guests, the violence of the swim was equally remarkable.  In fact, that twenty yard unexpected swim was my worst ever.  And, in my career prior to this, I had found myself out of a raft at the bottom of Boulder Drop, through ALL of Lava Falls and most of Hell's Half Mile in Dinosaur National Monument.
All it required was one moment of cockiness, carelessness and complacency.

People wonder why Orion has so many female river guides.  When I was thinking about writing this post, I thought back over the past several decades of boating and I tried to recall how many cocky female river guides I had encountered.  I couldn't think of any.  I know BOLD female rafters.  I know female guides who are assertive and unafraid to voice their opinions.  There is no shortage of women who choose to run rivers and are abundantly confident in their abilities.

On the other hand, I have met plenty of males with a white water attitude.  Males who can't (or choose not to) empathize with their customers.  Maybe it's a testosterone-thing.  Who knows?

So, what Orion favors are non-cocky, careful guides who do their best to stave off complacency.  And guides who demonstrate their professionalism by showing prudence and restraint - saving their 'stupid guide tricks' for the private 'busman's holidays' trips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jim Fielder - Washington River Rafting Pioneer

Jim Fielder was, as they say, larger than life. The former middle school teacher, beloved by many, and former white water rafting outfitter , envied by even more, lost his life recently due to poor electrical wiring and a flash fire.  He lived on Queen Anne hill in a house handed down to him by his mother. The Queen Anne News reported that he was also a former screenwriter and novelist of true crime stories.  I know he had published a book or two, and I know he wrote an insightful article about Mary Kay Letourneau for a women's magazine, but I don't know if I would characterize anyone who has been published as being 'former'.  Once a writer, always a writer. Jim Fielder owned Zig Zag River Runners from the late 70s through the early 90s, and that is how I know him.  But the last time I saw him, he was haunting a Queen Anne coffeehouse, absorbing information and scheming about subject matter you could sink your teeth into.  He was long past his white water outf

Best Time for River Rafting in Leavenworth

The ideal time to river raft the Wenatchee River is between May and July. May is peak, snow-melt runoff, so the water will be cold, the air temperature in the 70s and the water level can be moderate to high. June is nice because the ambient temperature has risen considerably, while the river levels usually are still good enough to provide some exciting white water. July is typically low and slow, but the weather is reaching the high 90s, so rafting continues to be fun, but more memorable due to water-fighting and voluntary swims. Orion River Rafting provides daily, unhurried river trips out of Leavenworth, Washington. Established 1978. http://orionexp.com in reference to: "Spring mountain snowmelt creates excellent rafting conditions in the Wenatchee River." - Leavenworth, Washington - A Great Place to Visit ( view on Google Sidewiki )

Our Own Private Idaho. . . River - Part 2

“The Selway, between Double Drop Rapids and Ladle Rapids, has averaged one drowning per year, over the past 8 years.” the veteran Selway River guide intoned.  “Don’t take it lightly.”   ~~ After awkwardly clambering up a steep slope above Double Drop Rapids in an effort to get a peek at what lurked around the bend, those words lay harbored in the back of my mind.  With the Selway rising, rocks were disappearing and ugly hydrologic features were emerging.   Double Drop Rapids, Selway River 2004 - Dane Doerflinger The reason those who scouted the day before were nonplussed about location was because they had noted an enormous boulder at the head of Double Drop Rapids.   An enormous boulder.  With the rising tide, the telltale boulder was engulfed. From the scout, I had no doubt of the preferred route.  However, the slightest miscalculation risked an encounter with some of the explosive breaking waves toward the rapid’s tail.  The more technically difficult Lad